Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Welcome.

Like any working mom, my time to myself is limited. That means my DIY projects are usually done over the course of several naptimes, or I am staying up until the wee hours.

So quick and easy projects are always high on my wish list.

I love the look of a wreath on the front door at Christmastime, and wanted to find something that would look just as good, all year round. I remembered seeing some moss-covered letters somewhere in the blogosphere and thought that would be the perfect idea to adapt for my front door.

I wanted to find the letter G (first initial of my last name), so kept an eye out when I was out and about. Finally, I found one when Terra and I stopped in at the Hobby Lobby in Minot, North Dakota a few months ago. It was ugly, but the perfect size, and I was planning to cover it anyway. And because it was ugly, it was on clearance - 50% off, a total of $4.98. Of course, I didn't take a picture of the original G because blogging about it was not on my mind at that point, but here's a picture Of a similar one I found on the Hobby Lobby web site:

Oh yes, sure, it was lovely as it was. I'm sure you are wondering how I brought myself to cover up that gold glory. But it just wasn't what I had in mind for my front door. So on the same trip to Hobby Lobby, I picked up a bag of this stuff: 

preserved sheet moss
During naptime a few weeks ago, I pulled out the G, the moss and my hot glue gun and set to work. I just sort of ripped up the sheet moss and glued it on randomly, just making sure all that lovely gold was covered, and then cutting the excess off the back so it would lay flat on the door. 10 minutes later, I had the perfect accessory for my front door.



 And the best part of this whole project . . .  was that I still had an hour's worth of naptime to enjoy. 
 ~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment