Monday, July 23, 2012

Outdoor Tables Re-newed


When we were first married, and moved into our first home, we had a set of coffee table frames welded for us. This was the time when "tile top" coffee tables were the cool thing to have, and we thought we were pretty good by saving a few bucks and placing the slate tops ourselves. They were well used, and well loved, and eventually we moved them outside to use as side tables with our patio furniture. After weather and wear, and many years outside, they were ready to be re-newed! 

   

Due to the natural slate, and the metal frames, they were destined to rust.


We knocked the tops out, and were left with the original black metal frames. 
I gave them a quick coat with Tremclad outdoor rust-resistant flat black paint.


This project took so little time, once they were dismantled, that I don't have any progress photos ... I used 5/4" treated fence boards and cut into planks that could stand the test of time outside. They nested right inside the black frame. They looked good, but were still a little blah ... so I got out the stencils ... heck ... I still had a half of can of black spray paint, I may as well use it!

   



 ... and they will only get better with time ...  the more they weather and fade!



4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I like that you should be able to keep reusing those same frames when you want an update :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I like that you should be able to keep reusing those same frames when you want an update :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I hope too that I can continue to use them ... the question will be ... just what to drop into them next time around??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! And the stenciled numbers look like the perfect detail!

    ReplyDelete