Sunday, February 24, 2013

Better Bathroom

My bathroom, hasn't had anything done to it since we moved in 7 years ago. It was time for a little change. Nothing huge, just a change. We switched up the wall colour, and repainted the baseboards, which made it feel fresher instantly.

I've had an old ladder in my stock for nearly a year now. I've had a few ideas for it, but decided to use it as my towel bar in the bathroom. It was a neat pick, it still had the brackets attached at the top. The No.14 stamp, and the 'Eaton's Co. Chilliwak BC' tag stapled to the side.

The problem I faced: my 2 year old toddler, scaling the walls and swan diving from the top at 9' into the bathtub, cabinet, toilet, etc ... you get my drift. I wanted it to be functional, yet safe. I had my husband cut a foot off the bottom, and we hung it about 3' off the ground. Low enough he can reach the towel, high enough we don't have to install a trapeze safety net.



Who hasn't always wished for a rhinoceros in the bathroom? Right?


This was the original mirror, it was a dark brown, with gold fleck. It was really dark. I settled on the Liquitex "Parchment" spray paint, and gave it two good coats and a distressing. It really is amazing what a bit of paint can do.



And there you have it. A coat of paint. Can of spray paint. Old, free, picked ladder, and of course a rhinoceros. A very inexpensive, relatively easy bathroom freshen up. The safety net would have been a fairly costly addition to the budget, so I was glad we could avoid installing one.

~T~


No comments:

Post a Comment